Wauwatosa Scenes, 1941-1970

McFarland Menu
Website Menu
Video clip
If you remember these scences, or graduated from 'Tosa High School in 1955, contact me at  

"The Cenacle": originally built as a private estate by railroad executive Frederick Underwood, later used as a convent, and then abandoned in the early 1950's when this picture was taken from the top of a tall silver maple in the rear yard of 7723 Stickney Avenue (above photo), Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, looking northeast toward the corner of 76th and North Avenue. In the 1960's, the property became the site of the Wauwatosa City Hall and library. Click on the picture for magnified jpg image. Click here for 25MB BMP image (CD only)

Wauwatosa High (now called Wauwatosa East) as it appeared about 1954. The tower has since been removed.
Photo at the right
coutesy of historian
Ray Py of
Wauwatosa, Wis.

Ray Py, local historian, writes that the older building in the foreground " was once the new high school built in 1906. It replaced the high school building of 1871 built on the corner of Milwaukee at Wauwatosa, the site of the present Tosa East (in distance, here). Some years later, Wauwatosa Junior High (later called Longfellow JH) was built at the north-east corner of the present Tosa East bldg on 75th St." About 1959, nearer building (in photo below).was destroyed to create a new addition to Lincoln Elementary (out of picture to left), as the Junior High was moved 6 blocks north to 76th and North Avenue.
7723 Stickney Avenue about 1970

Rear yard of 7723 Stckney Avenue, Wauwatosa, Wis, looking north approximately 1942. Child is Thomas L. McFarland. Note someone hiding behind a tree ??
See same-day pictures

Rear yard of 7723 Stckney Avenue, Wauwatosa, Wis, looking southest approximately 1951. Thomas F. McFarland with Adele Landis at the left, and with Dorathy and Brian McFarland at the right.

Back yard of 7723 Stickney Avenue in the Spring of 1955. In 1970, the house was sold to the Lukach family, who built a large addition extending toward the camera : both trees were cut, but the 1955 view from the top of the forked tree is below.

McFarland Menu
Website Menu