Above diagram best viewed if monitor displays 1024x768 pixels with medium text size
Click on blue names to move through family trees above.
Personal Information and photo links below :
- Angus McKay, buried at Forest Home Cemetery in Chicago in a family plot containing his son James,
his wife Catherine, and a Janice McKay. Angus McKay died 4 Nov 1912
- James Robert McKay, born in Chicago on 23 Dec 1870, son of
Angus McKay and Catheran Harris.
James McKay married Charlotte Davids, and this couple had one son
Calvin Davids, but James died of tuberculosis
on 20 April 1896. Buried at Forest Home in Chicago, which verified the death date.
Charlotte later re-married and bore 3 more children.
From the 1930 census (below, under Calvin), it would appear that James Robert McKay had a sister Alice McKay
who married a man named Claud Trimble.
- Calvin Davids McKay, born 25 February 1895 in Chicago, married to Isabel X. about 1920 (from 1930 sensus),
having one daughter Ruth Ann (mentioned in probate of H.S. Davids,
but Isabel died before the 1930 census (by suicide). Calvin remarried to Harriet Elsie Reynolds, but had no more
children. Calvin is listed in his mother's 1939 obituary as
living in Evanston, Illinois. The Evanston city directories of 1935 and 1939 list
"Colvin D. McKay (Elsie H., 1) printer (Chgo) h906 Oakton Apt 3" ; the 1948
Evanston directory lists "McKay, Calvin D. (H Elsie) v-pres chgo, h3034 Isabella" and he
is listed as having a phone. "Colvin" was spelled that way in the earlier directories,
and the "1" seems to imply that one minor child lived with this family. The 1995
obituary for his half-brother Emmett mentions that
Calvin had already died. Calvin listed in the California Death records,
died on 3 April 1965 in San Diego, buried with
his second wife Harriet Elsie in Memorial Park Mausoleum, Skokie.
1930 Denver, Colorado census (Some columns not shown. See complete census image)
Head of house
|age at last
|age at first
|Place of birth
|Place of birth
|Place of birth
|Trimble, Claud A.
|Trimble, Alice E.
|McKay, Calvin V.
|McKay, Ruth Ann
- Isabel X., born in Indiana, married Calvin Davids McKay about 1920 (both items from 1930 census), having one daughter Ruth. Isabel
died before the 1930 census (by suicide, according to Linda Lee Cox, Isabel's granddaughter).
- Harriet Elsie Reynolds , born 8 Oct 1893 (source is Soc. Sec. death index ),
second wife of Calvin Davids McKay, married before 1935, having no children with him.
Harriet died 3 March 1978 in La Jolla, California, buried
with Calvin in Memorial Park Mausoleum, Skokie. Her obituary implies that
she adopted Calvin's daughter Ruth. Calvin and Harriet apparently lived much of their lives in or near Evanston, Illinois.
- John William Eck, born 13 May 1922 in Dayton, Ohio, the only child of Samuel (=Sylvester?) Eck and Mildred Todd. John
married Ruth Ann McKay about 1945, having a son John R. and a daughter Linda Lee.
John William Eck died 21 Dec 1972 in Sonoma (Santa Rosa)
- Ruth Ann McKay, born 25 Nov 1923 in Colorado (from California death index as Ruth Ann McKay Eck).
Ruth was first discovered in the probate of her grandmother Charlotte Judd (Davids)
(McKay) Edgerton. Married John W. Eck, having a son (John R.) and a daughter (Linda). Died
near Sacramento, California on 21 April 1978. The Sacramento County recorder's office
states (by phone) that her gown caught fire while heating water on a stove, and she
died of burns. The next of kin was Linda Lee Cox ; Ruth was a widow, living at 6016
Sunrise Vista Drive in Citrus Heights. Buried after cremation in Chaple of Chimes
Cemetery, Santa Rosa. Funeral handled by Bates, Evans, and Fehrensen, a funeral home
which was bought in 2001 by Duggins . Doctor in attendance
was George L. Nielsen.
- Linda Lee Eck, born 9 January 1951, married on 21 April 1974 in San Francisco to Clifford J. Cox
Clifford, having one child, Amy L. Cox .
Lives in Sacramento, California
- Clifford J. Cox, born 3 December 1950, married on 21 April 1974 in San Francisco to Linda
Lee Eck, having one child, Amy L. Cox
- John Reynolds Eck, born 10 March 1957, married 3 times. First marriage in 1979 to Julie Smith
(daughter Alexandria McKay Eck, born 1980), later divorced. Second marriage to Evonne (divorced). Third
marriage to Debra Colangelo, with children Amber (born about 1989) and Adam (born about 1998).
- Julia L. Smith, born 26 November 1957; married on 22 September 1979 to John R. Eck at St. Eugene's
Catholic Church in Santa Rosa, California. This couple has one daughter, Alexandria McKay Eck.
Julia and John later divorced, and both re-married. Julia's 2nd husband (Mr. Musall) died before 2012.
- Alexandria McKay Eck (Andria), born 16 April 1980; married on 19 November 2005 to Timothy William Reddit,
This couple has two sons, Tyson A. and Aeden W.
- Debra Colangelo, born on 12 February 1963 in Rochester, New York. Married John R. Eck with
children Amber (born about 1989) and Adam (born about 1998).
- Amy L. Cox, born 3 Oct 1975, married to James Arthur Perry (James born 20 December 1973)
Information about these people from [A] a chance discovery in the California death index showing
that Calvin D. McKay died in San Diego. [B] Calvin's death certificate revealed his wife and burial
site, which then supplied Harriet's death date. [C] Short obituaries of both
Calvin and Harriet
were then located in the Chicago Tribune. [D] A search for Linda Eck in California on-line marriage index
revealed her husband Clifford Cox, whose California phone number was listed. Additional information
from Linda Lee Cox. Information for John R. Eck from a face-to-face meeting with Tom McFarland
on 23 August 2003 in Las Vegas. John owns pictures of James McKay and others.
Dates for Calvin McKay come from a record in a bible.
In 2012, Julia L. (Smith) Musall contributed information on her marriage to John R. Eck.