Above diagram best viewed if monitor displays at least 1024x768 pixels with medium text size
Click on blue names to move through family trees above.
Personal Information and photo links below :
- Nathaniel John Potter, born September 1637, married Elizabeth Stokes having at least one child John. Died 20 October 1704
- Elizabeth Stokes, born 28 October 1638, married Nathaniel John Potter having at least one child John, died 1704
- John Potter, born 1667, married Mary Tripp, having at least one child Nathaniel, died 20 October 1704
- Mary Tripp, born 9 December 1670, married John Potter, having at least one child Nathaniel
- Nathaniel Potter, born 8 January 1710, married on 20 October 1736 to Mary Carr, died 1754
- Mary Carr, born 31 July 1717, married on 20 October 1736 to Nathaniel Potter, having at least one child Job Nathaniel Potter
- Job Nathaniel Potter, born 7 October 1739, married on 3 February 1760 to Desire Irish, having at least one child John
- Desire Irish, born November 1739, married Job Nathaniel Potter, having at least one child John
- John Potter, born 1761, married a woman with surname Little
- Hon. Platt Potter, well-known judge in New York. An etching of him appears in the 1888 Potter genealogy book.
- Hart Potter, born 1800, married 1822 yo Polly Everingham; children included Jane, Platt, and John. Died about 1833.
He is number 2057 in the Potter Genealogy book, and this number was written on a scrap of paper included in
the Potter album. This man is a descendent of Nathaniel Potter
- Polly Everingham, born 1804, married Hart Potter; children included Jane, Platt, and John
- Jane Potter, married Nathaniel Schofield, living in Sandwich, Illinois for the 1880 US census. This couple had
two daughters, Ida born 1856, and Belle born 1859. Possible photo of Belle (Billie)
- Platt Potter, born February 1828 in New York; married first on 18 August 1853 in Illinois to Julia Alida having
3 children, William Eugene Potter, Nelly Potter, and Pernett Hart Potter .
Platt's second marriage on 10 April 1858 to Elizabeth Beubien produced 4 children, Charles Junius, Edgar,
Delbert Mark (Del), and Dennison Delbert Potter, aka Den or DD. It is unclear whether George B. Potter
was a fifth child, or related in another way. Potter Basin in Montana was named for Platt Potter who settled
the area with his six sons in the 1890's. Platt Potter buried in Livingston, MT.
- Julia Alida Warner, born 11 November 1832 in Litchfield, Connecticut, Married Platt Potter on 18 August 1853 in
Illinois, having 3 children, William Eugene Potter, Nelly Potter, and Pernett Hart Potter . Julia died
19 February 1858 in Newark, Illinois.
- Kate Vermilye, born 24 May 1861 in Illinois, married John Potter on 26 April 1883 in
Sandwich, Illinois, having children John Vermilye Potter Sr. and Laura Bernice, both born in Montana. Their
2 children were noted in the 1910 Montana census as living in White Sulphur Springs. Kate died 3 October 1936.
- John Potter, born 18 Feb 1844 (alternately Sept 1839) in New York, served with the
53rd Illinois infantry in the Civil War. Founded the first bank
in Montana, in White Sulphur Springs. Married Kate Vermilye, having children John
Vermilye Potter (Sr.) and Laura Bernice. John Potter died 16 April 1928. There was a second John Potter
(not closely related to us) born in Maine in 1834, who became the first postmaster in Helena, Montana.
- George B. Potter, mentioned in the Potter album. Relationship uncertain.
- John Vermilye Potter Sr., born December 1891, married Ruth Potts, having
children John Vermilye Potter Jr. and Laura Ann. John V. Potter Sr died 1972 in White
Sulphur Springs, Montana
- Laura Bernice, born October 1896 in Montana
- Ruth M. Potts, born 1900, having 2 brothers and 4 sisters. Family contains John Potts who
was part of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Ruth died 18 October 1977 in White Sulphur Springs
- John Vermilye Potter Jr., born 8 July 1932 in Livingston, Montana, later living in White
Sulphur Springs. Married 3 times, first to Donna Whitehead, with whom he had his only child (Marlys), secondly
to Minnetta McHenry, and thirdly to Linda (Lower) Cambell. John V. Potter Jr owns a photo album created
by his grandmother Kate Potter.
- Linda (Campbell) Potter, died in the Spring of 2004.
- Laura Ann Potter, born 9 January 1937, married Bob Lodman, having children Mark and Elizabeth, both
of whom are married
- Marlys, married Craig Granlund, having children Danielle and Melissa, Marlys and Craig
The following are dates entered in a Bible owned by Ruth Potts Potter :
Entries by Ruth Potts Potter:
Entries by Laura A. Potter :
- John P. Lore - Wooster, Ohio - Nov. 8 - 1828
- Sarah Ann Liggett - Ohio - Nov. 23 - 1836
- George Washington Potts - Irdell County, North Carolina - 1818
- Phoebe Jane Anderson - near Nashville, Tenn., July 10 - 1837 Gallatin Co.
- Mother - Mary Alpharetta Lore, Cincinnati, Pawnee Co. Nebr Nov 20 - 1863
- Father - George Washington Potts - Jerseyville, Jersey Co. Illinois - Feb 4. 1870
- Sisters -
- Gladys Leota - Du Bois, Nebr. March 30 - 1893
- Lois Mebine (spelling uncertain) - Du Bois, Nebr. May 15 - 1898
- Nellie Tinen - Du Bois, Nebr. May 15 - 1898
- Ruth Margaret, Du Bois, Nebr. Oct 6, 1900 , d. 1977
- Brothers -
- George Washington Potts, Pawnee City, Nebr. Aug 1 - 1906 ??
- John Lore Potts, Pawnee City, Nebr. Nov 26, 1980
Entries by Ruth Potter and Laura McMillan :
- John Potter - b. Feb 18, 1844 - d. April 16, 1928
- Kate Vermilye Potter - b. May 24. 1861, d. Oct 3, 1936
married April 26th, 1883, Sandwich, Ill
- John V. Potter married Ruth M. Potts
- John V. Potter Jr. b. July 8, 1932
- Laura Ann Lodman b. Jan. 9. 1937
- Laura Ann Potter Lodman, b. Jan 9, 1937 in Livingston, Mt
- George Robert Lodman, b. Aug 7, 1935 - d. Aug. 11, 1981
- Laura Ann Potter and George Robert Lodman married July 27, 1963 in
White Sulphur Springs
- John V. Potter to Donna Whitehead
- John V. Potter to Minnetta McHenry in Las Vegas
- John V. Potter to Linda Lower, married May 12 - 1973 in ??
- Elizabeth Ann Lodman - born March 31, 1966 in Lewistown, Mt
- Mark Vermilye Lodman - b. August 11, 1971 in Lewistown, Mt
- Elizabeth A. Lodman and Alan Stine married Sept. 9. 1995, Lewistown, MT
- Carolyn Ann Stine - b. 6-11-97 - Helena, MT
- Nicole Isabel Stine b. 11-14-00 - Helena, MT
- Mark V. Lodman and Linda Beckman (m) 1-2-99
- (Charlie Griebel 6-6-92) - Linda's boy
- Christopher Robert Lodman - b. Nov. 8 - 99
- Laura Ann Potter Lodman married Lester Angus McMillan - 2-15-97,
Information on the Potter families comes from John V. Potter Jr. by phone in Dec 2003, and from the
Bible of Ruth Potts Potter (transcribed below).
Above information from John V. Potter Jr. by phone in Dec 2003, from Laura (Potter) Lodman of
Lewistown, Montana, from the website maintained by Sandra Vermilye Todd,
and also from the Potter Album and from Potter Genealogy (1888) via Penny Krogstrand: Full name
of the published genealogy is, "Genealogies of the Potter Families and Their Descendants in America to the Present Generation,
with Historical and Biographical Sketches" Edited by Charles Edward
Potter and copyright 1888 . Penny is a granddaughter of Arthur Platt Potter.