Above diagram best viewed if monitor displays 600x800 pixels with medium text size
Click on blue names to move through family trees above.
Personal Information and photo links below :
- Matilda Jane McFarland born 31 October 1864 in Northern Ireland (see birth record below),
emigrated to America in 1894 and married Thomas Farley in St. Patrick's Church, New York City on 25 Sept 1894. The
couple lived in Fountain City, Wisconsin, which is about 10 miles north of Winona, Minnesota.
Thomas and Matilda had 3 children: Thomas G., Frederick H., and Lillian M. This data comes from the
1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 censuses. Matilda is buried in Fountain City, Wisconsin,
where her grave marker states she died in 1944. Irish birth register:
Birth register, Mormon Church microfilm #101097, vol.18, page 129; bottom of this
census-like page reads
"Samuel Phillips, registrar of births and deaths, of Ballygawley
in the Union of Clogher in the County of Tyrone....."
Date and place of birth
name and surname and dwelling place of father
name, surname, dwelling place, and maiden surname of mother
Rank or profession of father
Signature of informant
Thirty-first October 1864 Armaloughy Caranteel:
First December 1864
A photocopy of the above registration is below, made from microfilm.
Top line reads: Superintendent Registrar's District Clogher
Registrar's District Ballygawley
2nd line reads : 1864 Births Registered in the District of Ballygawley
in the Union of Clogher County of Tyrone
- Thomas Farley, born April 1866 in the Irish free state where he worked as a horse trainer,
emigrated to the United States in 1893, married Matilda McFarland about 1894, worked as
a "section forman" for the railroad near his home in Fountain City, Wisconsin. Died in 1941, buried in Fountain City, Wisconsin. Thomas
and Matilda had 3 children: Thomas G., Frederick H., and Lillian M.
- Thomas George Farley, born 5 February 1896 in Wisconsin, married in Ladysmith on 27 June 1923 to
Cresentia Bernard (Billy), daughter of Emil and Jennie Bernard, having a daughter Jane Mary Farley.
County Journal reveals that they also had a son Thomas E. Farley. Thomas G. Farley
lived in Milwaukee for the 1930 census, but died 23 July 1991 in Iron River, Wisconsin,
where he is buried with Cresentia. His obituary appeared in the Milwaukee Journal of 25 July 1991.
Thomas G. Farley was "physical director in the Milwaukee School System", this fact from
County Journal. He had one glass eye, probably the right eye.
- Emil and Cresentia (Jennie) Bernard, 2nd marriage for each of them after first spouses died. Jennie's maiden name unknown
- Cresentia Bernard (Billy), daughter of Emil and Cresentia (Jennie) Bernard, born about 1901 (she was age 29 for the 1930
census), married Thomas G. Farley on 27 June 1923 in Ladysmith, Wis.
(published in the Iron River Pioneer vital records),
having a daughter Jane Mary Farley.
County Journal announces that they had a son Thomas E. Farley born 23 October 1932.
- Frederick H. Farley, born 4 February 1898 in Wisconsin, married to Esther Blomquist
with no children. Worked as a dentist in Marshfield, Wisconsin. Frederick died March 1969 in Wood, Wisconsin, near Marshfield.
- Lillian M. Farley, born 8 April 1906 (she was age 7 for the 1910 census), married Henry Lambert
having 4 children, Jean, Donald, Grace, and Roger. Lillian died 7 Jan 1993
- Henry Lambert, born 15 June 1889, married Lillian Farley having 4 children. Henry died 31 Dec 1978
- Jane Mary Farley, born 9 May 1929 (listed as 11/12 years old in 1930 census). The
Iron River Pioneer records her marriage to Paul J. Moynihan on 26 Nov 1959, but Jane and Paul later
divorced, so that her name at death was again "Jane Mary Farley"
(Obituary). Jane died near St. Paul, Minnesota, on 17 May 2005.
Jane is listed as a "feature writer for the Milwaukee Journal", but she was apparently free lance, and
not a payroll employee. Jane had one daughter, Megan, born 25 April 1966,
whose legal name in 2006 is "Jones Megan Moynihan".
- Thomas Eugene Farley, born 23 October 1932, married Nancy Tigue (b. 28 March 1934) in Des Moines, Iowa, on 24 May 1958.
Thomas E. Farley lived in the Milwaukee area much of his life, but lives in Tuscon, Arizona, in September 2006.
Thomas and Nancy have 3 children: Kevin Thomas (born in Milwaukee on 10 Sept 1959, unmarried in 2006),
Michael John (born 10 Sept 1960 in Milwaukee, unmarried in 2006), and Kathleen Anne (born 14 Feb 1970 in Milwaukee).
Kathleen married Kelly Evans, but the couple divorced with no children.
- Donald Edward Lambert, born 7 Oct 1931, never married and no children, worked in road construction,
lives near La Crosse, Wisconsin
- Jean Marie Lambert, married to Mr. Jostad. As of 2006, lives near La Crosse, Wisconsin
- Grace Ann Lambert, married to Mr. Reinke having 4 children, including a daughter
Renee Wagner. Grace later married to Ray Wachowiak
- Roger Henry Lambert, married Louise Carolyn Becker. This couple raised
two sons but one has died of colon cancer. Roger and Louise live in Verona, Wisconsin in 2007
The 1900 census lists Matilda and her 3 brothers living in the same house in Fountain City, Wisconsin:
 Fred W. McFarland, born March 1872 in Ireland, emigrated in 1891
 Thomas A. McFarland, born December 1874 in Ireland, emigrated in 1894
 Robert J. McFarland, born December 1878 in Ireland, emigrated in 1897
The 1920 census lists all 3 of Matilda's children still living at home in Fountain City, Wis.
The above information in part supplied by Thomas E. Farley of Tucson, Arizona, in September 2006