written by Alberta (McFarland) Horan about 1993
Later comments by Tom L. McFarland in red
[Letter and dates from Katherine (Burdick) Murphy]
[Posthumous history by Alberta's brother Thomas]

McFarland-Burdick family tree
Burdick History
Risdon family tree
Website menu
Horan album menu

In the year 1861, Morgan and Olive Burdick conveyed land to the Town of Lake (Milwaukee) to build a Town House. When the Town House ended, the land reverted to heirs of Morgan. Land described as:

part of NW¼ of Section 21 in Township 6 North, range 22 East in the 17th ward of City of Milwaukee bounded and described as: commencing at the NW corner of the NW¼ of section 21, running E 8 rods, S 5 rods, W 8 rods, and N 5 rods to the beginning.

Above information taken from the court petition of Clara Burdick McCreedy to settle the estate of Morgan Burdick.

From newspaper clippings, it appears Henrietta Cross ne Risdon was born in Lincolnshire, England in November 1840, and married Norman Cross. They farmed near Bloomfield, Wisconsin. Believe a sister of Jemima Risdon.

From photo, it appears Olive Patterson Burdick had a brother D.W. Patterson (in 1800's)

My mother was Sara Francis Burdick. She was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on July 25. 1880. Her father was George Bradford Burdick, son of Morgan Burdick and Olive Patterson Burdick. Morgan's family came from England and settled in Pennsylvania before moving to a farm in Wisconsin, which later was incorporated into the Town of Lake, which is now part of Milwaukee. Morgan Burdick died in Milwaukee in 1888, and left property to his wife Olive and his children, George Bradford Burdick, Melvin L. Burdick, William W. Burdick, Martha V. Burdick Fulton, Alfred E. Burdick, and Ellen P. Burdick Nelson. Olive Patterson Burdick died on March 11, 1911, and her estate was given in part to George Bradford Burdick. George Bradford Burdick married Jemima Risdon in 1865. They had the following children:

Jemima Jane Risdon was born 11/30/1838 in Romsey, Hampshire, England, and at the age of 12, sailed with her parents on the sailing vessel Constantinople from Liverpool, together with a hired cook, tin dishes, and 24 live and dressed fowls. According to discussions, it appeared that her parents held the honorary title of Lord and Lady Risdon (this story appears to be false). From clippings, it appears that there was a Henrietta Risdon, who appears to be a sister of Jemima. Henrietta was born in Lincolnshire, England on November 30, 1840, married Norman Cross and farmed near Bloomfield, Wisconsin. The family spent 3 weeks in New York before going on to Milwaukee.

On July 4, 1865, Jemima married George Bradford Burdick on the old Burdick homestead while he was home on furlough during the civil war. After the war, my mother said her father was addicted to alcohol, which put a great burden on her mother to provide for the family. He died in the county of Todd, Minnesota, after confinement at an old soldiers home in 1920. His army serial number was Company F, 1st Cav., Colrado, Vol. Inf. Ctf No. 1006619. Jemima Burdick died in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, at the age of 96, spry to the end, except for blindness. During her later years, she resided with her daughter Nellie. When she was 90 years old, she made a long trip in a model T Ford from Milwaukee to Lowry, Montana to visit my mother, Sara F. McFarland, when I was about 8 years old, which is the first time I met them. As my sister Eileen had been left (due to my mother's illness) with my Aunt Nellie. This is the first of about 5 times in my life that I personally had any contact with my sister. From photos included in this history, it would appear that Morgan Burdick and George Bradford Burdick were rather large men, and Olive Patterson and Jemima Risdon were very small women under 5 feet. My father Thomas A. McFarland was 5' 11" and my mother was 4' 10".

My father was Thomas Alexander McFarland. He was born in [Armaloughy townland near] Ballygawley, County Tyrone, Ireland on December 29, 1872. The information recorded here was obtained from old insurance applications completed by Thomas, Frederick, and Robert McFarland through the Modern Woodman Insurance Co. in the early 1900's. All other records were sent to Dublin from the church in Ballygawley, but during the uprising in 1914, the court house in Dublin was blown up and all records destroyed [not quite all, as it turns out]. From this application, it appears there were 11 children born to Andrew and Anastasia (maiden Saddler) McFarland.
The map square at the right is about 20 miles across. Ballygawley is 3 miles north of border with the Irish Republic. Click on map for more detail (CD only). In the birth registery for Thomas, his father Andrew McFarland lists his residence as "Armaloughy Carnteel" in County Tyrone, shown on the map below. The McFarland farm was at the south tip of Armaloughy townland, about a mile southeast of Ballygawley.

Birth and death dates below should be compared with those written in Charlotte's Bible.
  • Andrew John (#1) born 8/7/1863, died 5/19/1864
  • Andrew John (#2) born 12/4/1869, died 4/1/1875
  • Two sisters were stillborn
  • Charlotte was born 5/10/1867
  • Julianne was born 2/28/1874
  • Thomas Alexander, born 12/29/1872
  • Sister Sophia born 5/20/1875, died 9/9/1875
  • Matilda Jane born 10/21/1864
  • Caroline born 10/28/1868
  • Frederick William born 3/30/1879, died March 1918, buried in Great Falls, Montana
  • Robert James born in Ireland on 24 Dec 1878 or 1879

Thomas Alexander died June 1956 and is buried in Great Falls, Montana. My father always spelled his birthplace "Bally Gally", but a letter from a parish vicar indicates that "Bally Gawley" is correct. This town is located just above the northern tip of the division line between Northern and Southern Ireland. The heading of the vicar's letter also includes Richmount Glebe.

Charlotte and Julianne immigrated to the United States and settled in Jersey City, New Jersey. Julianne married John Knowles and had 4 children: Mary, Helen, Jack, and Veronica. Charlotte evidently married a man by the name of Graham. She must have returned to Ireland, and the address was given as c/o Mrs. McDonagh, Liseggerton, Clones, County Monaghan, Ireland. Charlotte died in Millbrook, Clones, Ireland on 30 April 1947; she had no children.

Thomas, Frederick, and Robert probably came to the United States around 1900. In the 1900 census, Trempealeau, Wisconsin, Fred, Thomas, and Robert report they immigrated in 1891, 1894, and 1897, respectively. Information is not available as to where they emmigrated to, but letters and cards indicate they made their way to Wisconsin, where Thomas met Sara Francis Burdick. An old insurance policy lists Robert's address as Trempealeau, Wisconsin, as of 2/17/1889 [date is more likely 1899]. At one time, my father lived in Hibbing, Minnesota, and was a postmaster. He met my mother, Sara Francis Burdick, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and they married on November 30, 1905. At this time, he was a streetcar conductor for the Electric Railway Co. in Milwaukee. Frederick also worked for a railway company, and worked his way west, homesteading on 400 acres of dryland farm at Lowry, Montana, 9 miles northwest of Simms, Montana, and 40 miles west of Great Falls, Montana. From conversations, evidently Robert was also in Wisconsin, but lost touch with his family, and there is no further record of what became of him, although efforts were made to follow up on any "Robert McFarland" that was heard of. Thomas' father died at age 64 due to inflammation of the brain, in 1893. His mother died in 1891 at age 54 due to a back injury. His paternal grandfather lived to age 98 [This report is not consistent with the dates on a tombstone for this man]. His paternal grandmother (Matty Delap) lived to age 89. His maternal grandmother (Jane Sadleir, possibly born Jane Smith near Galway) died at age 98. His maternal grandfather was John Sadleir, a school headmaster and later writing clerk. Thomas worked in Milwaukee, but moved to San Francisco (Felton St?) when his first 3 children were small. In 1917 he moved his family to a farm near Lowry, Montana, to help his brother Fred. Fred died in March 1918, and Thomas then moved to Great Falls, Montana in 1929 with his wife Sara and his fourth daughter, the other children no longer living in the home. He died there in June 1956.

From the dates of death of Dad's parents (1891 and 1893), it would appear that younger members of the family were orphaned. Dad only mentioned that he was about 15 when he came to the United States.(For the 1900 US census in Trempealeau, Wisconsin, Thomas claims to have emigrated in 1894, when he was 22)

Fred was naturalized 9/30/1914, Certificate #46427, Vol. 4, #298, showing his age as 43 (which could correct his birth year to 1871 instead of 1879). He was 5' 7", blue eyes, dark hair. Filed in District Court, Teton County, Montana.

Dad was naturalized 11/29/1919, Cert. #1086580, Vol. 8, #695, age 44, height 5' 11", blue eyes, dark brown hair. Filed in either district court in Teton County or in Cascade County.

(addition in July 2000) Thomas Alexander McFarland (born 12/23/73) in Ballygawly, county Tyrone, Northern Ireland (close to the northern border of Southern Ireland). Married Sara Frances Burdick in Milwaukee, Wis, on November 30, 1905. He passed away in June 1956 (in Great Falls) 3 months after the death of granddaughter Janis Horan. Sara passed away in February 1957 in Oakland, California while visiting son Eugene. Both are buried in Great Falls, Montana.

He said he migrated to USA at age 15. He was naturalized. A death certificate of brother Fredrick McFarland, who died in Great Falls, Montana, shows the father's name as Andrew McFarland and the mother's name as Anastasia.

He had a sister Julianne (Julie) who married John Knowles. They had 4 children (see story). "Story" refers to a more personal account of the family of Alberta (McFarland) Horan which was written for her children. Alberta states in 2008 that all genealogically useful data in that story is also copied here to this "History"

Letter to Alberta from Katherine Burdick Murphy about 1975

Dear Alberta

You are such a dear to keep in touch -- really do appreciate it. I'd better improve in the correspondence department or I won't have any friends or family left. Seems as if everyone is moving far away.

My sister Bess [Elizabeth (Burdick) Osterhill] divides her time between Ouray, Colo., and Fountain Hills (near Scottsdale), Arizona, where they have built a winter home. And Marg [Marguerite Burdick] and her husband George [Alberta notes in the margin that this is "George Battle"] are building a home in St. Germain, Wisc. With the looming gas shortage they won't be having very many guests to fill their 3 bedrooms as they had planned.

Bess and Michael lived in Indianapolis for 8 years before moving to Omaha (he was with Western Electric, and was transferred at lot). They loved it there - made so many friends.

You mentioned that Tom [Tom F. McFarland] now lives in Phoenix. Please send me his address which I'll forward to Bess. She and Michael have a lot of spare time now that they've retired -- perhaps they can get together. They go to San Diego often where Michael has relatives. On one of their trips Bess tried to locate Nell [Nell (Ellen) Burdick] -- of course didn't know that she was in a nursing home.

Maybe your nephew Tom [Tom L. McFarland] already knows the following about the Buirdick family, but perhaps this will fill in a few missing items:

Morgan Burdick's family came mostly from England in the 1700's and settled in Pennsylvania. He married Olive Patterson (from Ireland) and travelled to Wisconsin and settled to what is now the south part of Milwaukee (Town of Lake). Descendents of the Austin and Howard families who settled there at the same time may be a source of information for him.

They raised a large family - George Bradford [Burdick] being one of their sons. When I was 7 years old, our family stayed with Aunt Ollie from May to November in 1920. One of Grandpa's brothers, Uncle Doc (Albert or Alfreds?) lived down the road. He lived with his very elderly wife, Aunt Candace and a daughter, Madge Novotny (who had 2 sons). Grandpa also had a sister Ellen who lived in Fond du Lac. When I stayed with Aunt Nell one summer we took a trip there. She was living with a daughter whose last name, I believe, was Birch (Ellen's married name was Church -- or vice versa -- I never did get them straight.

This daughter's husband (Birch or Church) was instrumental in getting a small inheritance paid to Morgan's descendents, through the sale of the land on which the Town of Lake Town Hall stood. Seems as if he only loaned it for that use. Think Grandma Burdick [Jemima] got something like $2000. Archives from this town hall would be a great source of information about the family, I'm sure, if they do exist.

Think of you often and of the heartaches and struggle you had had. Don't know if I could handle it as well as you have.,

Perhaps one day I'll be able to get away from my tiny little corner of the world and get out to Great Falls to visit with you and your daughters.

Maybe this rough sketch of a family tree will fill in a few gaps in Tom's research.

Love to your family,

Kay [signature; Alberta annotates this as " Katherine Burdick Murphy"]

P.S. - Just realized after looking at the so-called family tree I've tried to reconstruct that I'm a poor one to help out Tom in his project. Somewhere I have a picture that my father took from an old tin type. On the back of it he wrote the names of the people he could remember. When I find it I'll send it to our researcher. Think it was taken about the time Grandma and Grandpa were married.

Below is Katherine's list of birth/death dates, not always agreeing with other sources. Katherine writes "No other record as court House in Bally Gawley burned down before Tom got his naturalization papers."

name birth date death date
George Bradford Burdick 9/29/1838  
Jemima Jane Risdon 11/30/1838  
Florence (Sims) 4/12/1865  
Olive (Larson) 5/10/1868  
Fred 9/23/1869  
Frank 9/29/1872  
Maggie 9/26/1871  
Sam (Kathryn) 9/29/1873  
Charles 8/14/1875  
Sarah (McFarland) 7/25/1880  
Ellen (Nellie) 11/10/1884  
Geo (Dessie) 10/13/1887  
McFarlands from here down
Andrew John #1 8/17/1863 5/19/64
Matida 8/21/1864  
Charlotte 5/10/1867  
Andrew John #2 12/4/1869 4/1/75
Fred W. 11/13/1878 3/16/1918
Thomas Alexander 12/27/1869 5/?/1956
Sophie 5/12/1875 9/9/75
Julianne 2/28/1894  
Robert 12/12/1878  

[Alberta has written at the bottom "Sam's daughter // Hugh and Sam Jr in (indistinct) // Marguerite died]

Dear Tom, Susan, and Diana

...I have not had time to go through the Burdick Book, or other sites available.

In going through the pictures, I noticed there is an absence of any pictures of Patty or Janis, except the one she didn't want... with RC. In going through some more pictures, I found a few that I would love to have you [add]....I have included a few of my favorites of Janis, and the portrait of Janis, Joyce, and Jean was taken as Christmas gift for my parents and Joe's mother, and was [taken] just a few months before she died on March 4, 1956. In fact, we did not get the pictures until after her death.... I received both sets back from my mother and Joe's mother upon their deaths. Her picture, taken at Burnt Leather Ranch with our dog Biff, is one of my favorites, as well as the one of her and Joyce when she was about 2 and Joyce was about 3+. They were only about 15 months apart, but the second one didn't take as long to show up. Patty's last photo with Mya and RJ was taken last year.

...There is one picture of D.W. Patterson, who was a brother to Olive Patterson, wife of Morgan Burdick, so you show him in the wrong generation. Maybe you can make these corrections in the history.

I am enclosing a copy of Dad's [Thomas A. McFarland's] naturalization papers, showing that my sister was with the family until she was at least 8 years old, which tallies with what my brother said about my mother taking a trip to see her family when I was little, and that she got sick, and my aunt Nell offered to take care of her until mother got better, and then talked my mother into letting her raise [Eileen]. My sister [according to Barbara's story] took a little leeway [in saying that] she was given to Nell at age 3 in California. You might want to scan this paper on the McFarland side of our history. I am also sending the information on Morgan Burdick's brothers and sisters and the information on their families as far as I know it. I did not see this information on your Burdick history. My uncle Sam Burdick had one daughter Elizabeth (Bess) who had a daughter Judy Osterhill Mallory ["Murphy" is crossed out]. I corresponded with Bess up to the last 2 years, and then did not hear from her, which indicates that she is either in a rest home or deceased. Her last address was Omaha, Nebraska, so I'm going to try and locate Judy's address so I can find out the answer, and perhaps be able to add to the history.

...I am also enclosing a copy of an insurance policy taken out by my dad's brother Robert in 1899, so all 3 boys must have been in Trempaleau Wisconsin at that time. My dad said they got separated when they were young, and he never found Robert, but Fred moved west with the railroad and finally homesteaded in Montana, and contacted my dad to [move to] Montana as he was sick, and then Fred died in 1918 and left the farm to dad.

If I was starting to do this history now, I don't think I could do it, as I didn't realize how much stuff I had collected. It is a good thing that the folks didn't throw things out, as I found most of this in my dad's old trunk (which I almost busted my --- pulling out from the all! Also, before Nell died, she sent me a lot of pictures. I am enclosing a photo of Eileen when she was in her twenties. I didn't think you would want this for your website, but if you did, I would send you the original photo. Also a copy of her in a dancing costume. She took dancing for many years, ballet, tap and adagio, and wanted to go on stage, but Aunt Nell did not think it was a proper thing to do. My sister indicated to me when I called her at Christmas 2000 that when she went to California she was trying to get away from Nell as she was so possessive, so maybe that is why she changed her name, who knows. I will be calling her on her birthday in March, rather than writing to her, as her eyesight is bad.I will also try to find out if she has ever talked to the kids about her past, or is still under the dillusion that they are unaware of the store of information they have discovered.

When you get through with the pictures, please send them back. I hope you can use some of them, especially of Patty and Janis. I have to try and resurrect my albums and put pictures back in the proper "era". In going through one of my albums, I found several of your father, which you may or may not have seen, one of which was with me and Patty when he and your mother came out to Montana, and one of your parents when they came out to Montana on their honeymoon.

Guess I told you Gene is in a rest home in San Mateo, and Katy is in an assisted living apartment in the same complex but different building. She has a telephone 1-650-570-7447, but Gene doesn't have a phone. According to Katy's sister, Katy is very confused. They are both at Hillsdale Manor, 2883 S. Norfolk, San Mateo 94403-1698; Gene is #4, Katy #221.

Jean is interested in making a trip to California this summer to meet this "new family" as they have been emailing back and forth, and wants me to go....I would like to see my brother before it is too late. He is 92 and Katy is 88. Guess I am no spring chicken at 83, but at present am in a little better health.

Love Alberta

P.S. Jean was born 12/9/47 so she is not as young as your story shows. Patty was born 9/30/64.

Transcription of handwritten account by Thomas Fredrick McFarland
(written in a hard-cover business notebook)
[uncertain words and editing comment in red]

The McFarland Family

Similar story by Alberta Horan
To website menu
To McFarland menu

This, my total recollection of the family history, is prompted by a senseless argument at Beef Eaters 12/20/87.

My Great Grandfather Morgan Burdick came to Pennsylvania in the late 1700 and in 1838 moved to Tippecanoe, Town of Lake, later absorbed by Milwaukee. The farm house burned down but his brothers place (uncle Orc Burdick) is as far as I know still standing on Whitnall Ave. His son, my grandfather Geo Bradford Burdick married Jemima Risden (Risden) and begat 9 children of which my mother Sarah Frances and Ellen (Nellie) were the youngest. They had 2 sisters alive and Florence the oldest. 5 brothers Sam (you met) Geo (you met) Fred Frank and Charles. You met Aunt Flo at the Lake.

My father and his brother Fred came to America out of poverty in Ireland and wound up in a Lumber camp in Minnesota. My grandfather Thomas remained in Ireland [in 2018, we know this grandfather was named "Andrew"]. I never learned about him as he died before I was born 9/12/06. He [Thomas Alexander McFarland] was a post master in Hibbing, Minn when he married my mother. I never learned how they met. She disliked Hibbing and persuaded my father to move to Milwaukee, where I 9/12/06 Eugene 12/19/08 and Eileen 3/18/11 were born. My father had a difficult time and could find only work as a horse drawn street car driver and later as a motorman, a hard life as they then had to be outside in all kinds of weather: no inside cabs then. We lived in a flat at 7th & Michigan, in the 3000 block on Frederick Av, and the last on E. North Av, next door to what later became Frenchies. The only recollection I have outside of coasting on the street, and falling on my face with four ice cream cones, was my grandfather Burdick bringing peanut brittle which I enjoyed. Enter Aunt Nellie, who had a good job with the Pacific Surety Co. She persuaded our family to move 1911 San Francisco, where the weather would be more clement. Again trouble, Dad ran into the native son problem as only people born in California were favored. He wound up as a motorman on a street car. We lived in the little flat I showed you at the head of Fillmore Street. They had a hard time paying the 15.oo monthly rent.

My uncle Fred had a $40,000 bumper crop in 1916 and he offerred Dad a partnership as he was a bachelor and they would work two farms (one he bought for the purpose and mother could take care of the household. We arrived in March 1917 unprepared for cold weather and had to suffer a 10 mile ride on an open hay wagon before we reached uncle Freds one room cabin. We were all thirsty and gulped water with a ladle in a bucket. It was well water as I now tell you, so alkali we all gasped at the after taste.

As soon as possible, the men moved a cabin from the farm uncle Fred bought and joined them together with a storage room between. Heated by a pot belly in one room and a kitchen range in the other, we survived by scavenging driftwood from the river bed (we could not afford coal). If we didn't wake up several times a night to replenish the fire, the water on the far side of the room would freeze. No electricity, phone. We hauled spring water from 3 miles away for drinking during two crop failures. We had a total cash income of $175 oo in 1919 and 1920. We lived by trading butter and eggs for groceries (mostly flour for bread and beans) and by a garden we kept alive by hauling water from the spring.

After the crops were in, Dad would work for the company (Flowerie Sheep and Horse Co) milking the cows before he went to work if we were at school and we helped him when we could. In the summer I worked for a neighbor Billie Sharp who taught me how to run and repair the tractor and also how to run a threshing machine. When he was away I ran the whole outfit.

The farmers (our neighbors could not aford to hire anyone, so at threshing time, they would all trade work, so for 3 days held Dad had to give 3 days work. As it took 8-10 men to run the threshing machine, they all owed each other almost a months time. It was a rugged cashless life, as if you had a small crop, you didn't have much left after you paid last years grainery bill, bought seed for the next years crop, and paid off some of the mortgage.

We all slept in one room and during this time Alberta was inadvertently conceived. I should remember that my mother hated it and went back to Milw for a visit, contracted pneumonia and was within an inch of death. Later she came to love Montana. They lost the farm, and with the meager proceeds of an auction sale, they retired to Great Falls where they acquired the little house and lived on their garden and on what mother could make by canvassing selling such things as shampoo, sanitary belts, etc like a private Avon lady. She had regular customers and they managed to live comfortably by close management quite different from the farm where mother spent mamy a sleepless night worrying how they were going to manage. Dad worked his tail off. Neither complained. At Xmas time we were overjoyed to get a package from Milwaukee, usually some used clothing, a half dozen oranges, a pound of nuts, some canned goods and dried fruit.

Gene and I were so proud of a couple of jackets from St Johns Military school and a couple of Fedora hats from uncle Sam which we converted to cowboy hats while I was working for my board in Chateau (no money. I got some money from carrying out basement ashes around the neighborhood). At Chateau I came home for the holidays. I found my mother at the RR station proud as punch of a one horse buggy she bought for $5. Before that we had to ride in a wagon.

Things were always tight and Eugene took off for Milwaukee, stayed with Aunt Nell for a while and wound up as an operator for ADT (Burglar alarm systems) and an apartment at State and Milwaukee St where he was when I went to Milwaukee on a vacation in 1927 (Xmas day) fully intending to return to farm work. I too lived with Aunt Nellie on a cot in an attic room. Eileen, Grandma Burdick (Aunt Jemima) and Nellie lived downstairs.

Nellie persuaded the Journal (Mr Robinson) and on 3/5/28 I tool a job as telephone collector. I made out well worked hard and when a job higher up opened up I bounced in asked for it. I didn't get it but they never forgot I was out there. When they wanted part time help on a bookkeepping machine, I got it. Later I got a job as a cost accountant I didn't like, so they moved me back to credit as asst to Walter Smith. Did very well but Robinson thought I violated a confidence and in 1933 I was transferred to the Sales Dept. I think he thought I would fail and get fired. I was very successful sold more advertising contracts than any before or since, got married in 1936, and when Smith and Robinson had a fight, I got his job as credit mgr. I got no indoctrination and had to learn it by experience. Again I was lucky. The credit men at Chicago (Hugarten and Lightbody) of the Tribune and Podesack of the Daily News coached me, warned me about bad risks (called Abert and persuaded him to let me attend the credit mens convention in Toronto which you attended with me. I brought back some good ideas and this was the start of attendance at many conventions.

Now to back track: Aunt Nellie got into financial trouble took off in 1935 with Eileen and a Chrysler Imperial she couldn't afford. I never got her address; perhaps she was afraid if I got it, Abert and others would learn it. I was asked about it several times and I could honestly say I didn't know. I learned through Alberta she (Eileen) had married and had two girls. For the reasons I have described to you, she (Eileen) seemed to have disowned her mother. Whether this was due to Aunt Nell's influence I don't know, but I don't think so, for as an unmarried woman she (Nellie) seemed always trying to be helpful to the McFarland family. This seems to be reinforced by a falling out between Eileen, who now calls herself Sharon Parker, and Aunt Nell (a supposition) as Aunt Nell moved to San Diego and I never heard from her until she wrote and asked me to loan her money. This was at the time Brian was stricken with encephalitis. I declined and never heard from her again. Alberta told me she had passed away.

Mother and Dad write me quite often. Her last letter was in the desk with others along with some from Dad, all of which you have seen. I found $700 oo in the unclaimed money at the 1st Wis which uncle Lee deposited in 1910 and forgot about. I sent it to mother and she sent me back 100 oo which certainly helped me out when I had to borrow 5 oo from Roy Simpson or from Mike to last until pay day. You will recall that I was accused of being stingy, an epithet I never deserved.

I went to Milwaukee with $3000 oo (I worked the grain separator for Billy Sharp for 105 days at 25 oo a day and board) and when I retired I ?? M & I Bank $110,000 oo, which included the 35,000 oo down on the house at 87 W. State and the ?? Los Feliz house. Contrary to your opinion, the Journal stock never cost me a penny out of my salary, but in fact, after I borrowed 5000 oo from your father and paid him with a loan I was able to get from the State Bank of Milwaukee, I had some stock free of pledge which paid all our income taxes (which I would have had to pay out of salary) the interest on the loans and gave me some spending money.

In the meantime I was paying the bank 3% and I was earning 10% after interest and taxes. To get any money from the stock other than the generous dark end, I would have to pay the bank off, pay a horrendous tax bill, and wind up a small handful of stock and meager dividends. So the stock paid for itself and the 375 oo I paid down grew to 11950 shares of stock worth 35-40 oo. So I had 250 oo left after I pay the bank off.

Mother and Dad lived a quiet life, neither smoked or drank and had oodles of friends. At Dads funeral there were over 200 old people who thought the world of him. He was a quiet man who minded his own business. Mother was the manager, she did a good job. I don't know how she did it. They were on their own. It broke my heart I couldn't help them but you know what our circumstances were.

I forgot to say that great grandma Risden came from Essex England, and except that she lived until 98 with all her teeth I don't recollect more.

George Bradford Burdick is buried in the Army cemetery in Wood, Wis; Jemima is buried in Arlington cemetery in Milw -; Mother and Dad as you know are in Great Falls, a place they learned to love.

If there are any secrets I don't know any. We are just a quiet family who because of circumstances had to find our living far from home. Still we kept in touch even though we never had much in common. It comes to mind at this point we never got mad at each other and we did write. I don't recall that you did much writing except a guy called Mike in Mexico City. You have given me a hard time I don't deserve and I have given you a pretty good life. You don't seem to have appreciated. I think for a farm boy with a high school education, I did a pretty good job. It's too bad I never felt free to bring my friends to my home. But it's true of all married men, their friends are their wives friends and their own drop to the status of acquaintences -

Transcription of handwritten account by Thomas Fredrick McFarland, transcribed by Tom L. McFarland, 15 June 2001

McFarland-Burdick family tree
To website menu
To Horan album menu