Above diagram best viewed if monitor displays 1024x768 pixels with medium text size
Click on blue names to move through family trees above.
Personal Information and photo links below :
- Julianna McFarland born 28 February 1874, emmigrated to Jersey City, N.J.,
in 1895 (from 1920 census), married John Knowles and had 6 children.
Julianna (Julia) died November 1956,
buried on 17 December 1956. Letter from Julia to brother Tom (7 Dec 1945)
and Letter from Julia to Tom's wife Sara (26 Oct 1956)
Juliana's birth registration is below. The original registration
looked nearly identical to that for sister Matilda : :
Civil registration of birth, Mormon Church microfilm #255895, vol.3, page 139; bottom of this
census-like page reads
"Samuel Phillips, registrar of births and deaths, of Ballygawley
in the Union of Clogher in the County of Tyrone....."
Date and place of birth
name and surname and dwelling place of father
name, surname, dwelling place, and maiden surname of mother
Rank or profession of father
Signature of informant
Twenty-eighth February 1874 Armaloughy Carnteel:
Twenty-first March 1876
- John Knowles, born about 1865 in Ireland (1920 census). Catholic.
Truck driver and factory watchman (from 1910, 1920 censuses). Died about 1943-4. Both his
parents were born in Ireland (1920 census).
- Mary Knowles, born in New Jersey about 1899. She was 5'8" tall, and had MS,
and remained unmarried without children.
- Helen B. Knowles, born in New Jersey on 2 Sept 1900, married Charles Ferris, with one son George
surviving into adulthood. Two sons (Charles and James) died as children of pneumonia and measles.
At one point Helen lived with 2 sisters at 103 Grand St in Jersey City, but late in life, lived with her son George.
- George Edward Charles Ferris, born about 1938, married Carolyn E. Johnson (Carolyn born 28 May 1940),
having 5 children.
- John (= Jack) Knowles, born in New Jersey about 1904. Clerk in a telegraph company (from 1920 census). Married Grace (maiden name unknown)
having 2 children: the first died in infancy; the second was Ruth Knowles
- Kathleen, born in her mother's home on Grand Street in New Jersey on 27 Februay 1909, married Gordon McCandless.
Gordon died in 1947, and Kathleen remarried to Joseph Mahan in the 1950s. Joseph died in the 1960s, and
Kathleen died in May 1982. Kathleen had one daughter, also named Kathleen McCandless
(born 26 October 1940), who (in 2008)
is a retired teacher, and owns two old "samplers" or "tapestries" made by her great-grandmother Anastasia
Sadlier about 1850.
- Veronica Knowles (a twin, also known as "Nicky"), born as Margaurite Veronica Knowles in New Jersey 1912, married Mel (Melvin) Hicks having a daughter Sandra.
Sandra Hicks married Frank Bieber, having 5 sons: Derrick, Russell, Colin, Guy, and Roger
- William J. (Jimmy) Knowles, (a twin) born in New Jersey 1912, but drowned at age 13.
- Robert J. Knowles, born 1917 in New Jersey. Enlisted in Air Force on 2 October 1940 when he listed himself as having 4 years of high school,
occupation Addressing-Embossing Machine Operator with height 72 inches, weight 157 pounds. Robert later married and
has 2 children, Virginia (Carr) and Robert Jr.; Robert Sr lives in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, in October 2006.
The above data from US censuses, US armed forces data, conversation with Jon Carr, grandson of Robert J. Knowles,
and phone conversation with George Ferris (son of Helen Knowles) in 2006