Above diagram best viewed if monitor displays 600x800 pixels with medium text size
Click on blue names to move through family trees above.
Personal Information and photo links below :
The above information in part contributed by Peter Streich and Susan (Miki) Harmon in 2005 and 2006.
- Augustus Adams. This man founded the Sandwich Manufacturing Company
(Illinois), a mainstay of the Sandwich economy between the Civil War and the early
1900's. Married on 21 Oct 1833 to Lydia A. Phelps, and to them were born at least 8 sons and
one daughter, but Lydia died on 14 Dec 1867. Augustus remarried to Lucina Mosher
on 13 Jan 1869. Augustus is buried
in Oak Ridge cemetery. Augustus died 10 Oct 1892 ;
his obituary is long. Great-granddaughter Susan (Miki) Harmon owns a
bible embossed "Mrs. A. Adams" which may have earlier contained
family data, but from which pages have been removed. Information on the Adams family history
should be sent to the manager of this website
- Darius Adams, born 26 August 1834, married on 17 Mar 1861 to Orrill Spence, and married again on
Feb 1867 to Hellen M. Spencer. Resided in Sandwich until the death of parents. Darius
died 16 April 1872. The children of Darius are:
- Harriet Lydia, born 17 Nov 1862, married J. Frank Huntoon
- Lue Orrill, born 12 Sept 1864, married Frank L. Waite
- Augustus, born 12 June 1869
- J. Phelps Adams, born 18 Sept 1835, married at Kirkland, New York, on 26 June 1861 to Mary B.
(be) Phelps. Resided in Sandwich, and Was trustee for
the estate of Henry Davids, brother of Emeline Cox.
Phelps died 12 May 1904. The couple's children are:
- Eleanor Louisa Adams, born 24 Mar 1863, died 31 Dec 1863
- Fred Augustus Adams, born 24 June 1865, died 2 Sept 1866
- Henry Ethelbert Adams, born 29 May 1868, married Mary Haviland
- William Morse Adams, born 8 August 1870, died 22 Mar 1884
- Florence Bradley Adams, born 27 Jan 1877
- Henry A. Adams, born 21 January 1837, married at Sandwich on 29 Sept 1859 to Augusta M.
Carpenter. This couple resided in Sandwich; Henry
died 6 Mar 1917. Their children were:
- Minnie Gertrude Adams, born 31 Dec 1862, married Dr. J.P. Houston
- Helen Mae Adams, born 19 Mar 1867, married E.E. Wallace
- Charles Henry Adams, born 28 July 1870, married Margaret Jones
- Jessie Maria Adams, born 13 July 1872, married E.F. Mosher
- Oliver Adams, born 10 Sept 1845, married in Sandwich on 29 Dec 1865 to Harriet Julia
Armstrong. This couple resided in Sandwich, Fort Wayne, Indiana, and Jackson, Michigan.
Oliver died 18 Dec 1891. Their children were:
- Mary E. Adams born 17 May 1867, died 5 Oct 1867
- Amy Adams, born 8 Jan 1869, died 15 Nov 1869
- Bessie B. Adams, born 23 July 1873, married F.M. Kline
- Amy Adams, the only daughter of August, born 29 May 1843,
died 11 Dec 1844.
- H. Raymond Adams, son of Augustus, born 29 June 1842, married in Sandwich on 4 April 1865 to
Delaphene (or Delphine) Woodward. This couple lived in Sandwich until March 1867, when
they moved to Marsailles, Illinois. Raymond died at the home of his daughter
H.B. McKahin in Moline, Illinois, on 8 June 1919, buried on 10 June 1919 at Oak Ridge
Cemetery, Sandwich. His short obituary does not list his birth date. Their children
- Alonzo Tillson Adams, born 13 Jan 1866, married Marcia Peister
- Augustus Adams, born 18 Sept 1867, died 22 March 1868
- Mattie Bell Adams, born 6 March 1871, married H.B. McKahin
- Lela Orrill Adams, born 16 Nov 1882
- John Quincy Adams, son of Augustus, born in Greenwood, New York, on
23 July 1839, married in Sandwich on 20 Dec 1865 to Helen Augusta Beardsley, but this
couple had no children. Ken Bastian lists an extensive obituary which appeared in the
Sandwich Free Press, stating (among many other things) that John married
Helen A. Beardsley in 1865, then enlisted in
Sept 1861 in Company G of the 52 Illinois Volunteer Infantry and participated in
the battle of Shiloh, first and second battles of Corinth, and various Civil War battles
of the Altanta campaign, marched with Sherman to the sea, through the Carolinas to
Raleigh, battle of Bentonville, grand review at Washington, always present in regiment
when under fire, but never wounded, being discharhged as a 1st lieutenant and R.O.M. in
July 1865. John died in Long Beach, California, 17 Feb 1915, buried at Oak Ridge Cemetery,
- Walter G. Adams (father), born 12 July 1848, married at Sandwich on
15 June 1869 to Marie Emeline Cox, the two people having
lived next door to each other as children. Resided
in Sandwich for 1880 census. The 1900 census list Walter
Adams (born July 1848 in Illinois) living at 927 Main St in Racine,
with wife Emma (= Maria E. born Aug 1850 in Virginia), daughter Lydia Humphery
(with an "e", born July 1871 in Illinois) and granddaughter
Vinette (born June 1896 in Wisconsin).
Walter died 19 Dec 1919, buried at Oak Ridge, Sandwich.
Walter's sister-in-law Alice (Cox) Landis, assumed the name "Alice Landis Adams" sometime
between 1906 and 1912 but
it is not known why. The children of this couple are:
- Lydia Emma Adams, born 7 July 1870, married to F.V. Humphrey and later to Dr. W.S. Sterrett
- Walter Vincent Adams, born 20 Oct 1873, married Daisy Bull
- Albert Henry Adams, born 6 August 1876, married Clara Elizabeth Crofoot
- Charles Hawkins Adams, born 17 Feb 1855, married in Sandwich on 14 Dec 1876 to Mary Agnes
Stinson, having children Agnes Winifred (born 9 Nov 1879) and Hester Frances (born
29 April 1886). This couple lived in Sandwich until summer of 1877, then moving to Normal,
Illinois, then (in Nov 18779) to Marsailles, Illinois; then (in Aug 1886) to Kansas City,
Missouri; later also living in Marsailles, Racine, Wisconsin, and back to Marsailles.
Charles died 1 Sept 1929
- Maria (Mary) Emeline (Emma) Cox (mother), born 1850 in Virginia.
- Lydia Adams, born 1871, married Fred V. Humphrey at age 20 but was
widowed soon after the birth of their first child "Vinnette". Four years later,
married a Dr. William S. Sterritt
(spelled this way in her mother's obituary,
"Sterrett" in her father's obituary, and
"Starrett" in her own obituary). She lived in
Marseilles, Illinois, where she raised two more daughters, Corinne and Margaret.
She died in 1943, prior to brother Albert, given Albert's obituary.
- Dr. William Stokes Sterritt (a dentist), second husband of Lydia Adams
- Vinnette Humphrey (apparently born Fredricka Vinnette) married M.N.
Oscar Nilson, having a daughter Vinnette born 1922,
and a son Arthur Humphrey Nilson born 1926
- Corinne Sterrett, married Philip A. Crowe
- Margaret Sterrett, born 19 April 1905, married Roy William Maule
- Walter Vincent Adams (Vinnie) (also called Reggie), born 20 Oct 1873.
Married Daisy Bull, having two daughters, Carolyn
(who married Emil Steiger) and Lois. Lois died of pneumonia as a teenager. Vinnie lived
longer than either sibling, and (from his brother Albert's obituary) lived with his daughter
in old Greenwich, Conn. in 1955, and (from his granddaughter Susan in 2006) also lived
in Riverside. Earlier in his life, he lived in Racine,
Wisconsin, according to his father's obituary. He is
named "W. Vincent Adams" in his father's obituary.
- Carolyn Adams, born 1905, married to a Mr. Streich, having 2 sons, Charles and Peter.
Peter and his brother Charles have been long-time residents of Old Greenwich, as of 2006.
Carolyn re-married Emil Steiger, having daughters Carolyn (Sally) and Susan (Miki).
- Albert H. Adams, born 1877. Married Clara Elizabeth Crofoot.
Albert died October 23, 1955, leaving a daughter, Jean Lowden
(born 1911 from 1920 census),
and 5 grandchildren. A son, Ralph C. Adams, born 1905, died in 1952 in the Alps and
contributed 3 of the 5 grandchildren. California Death index reveals that Jean Lowden
was born 28 Dec 1910, died in Santa Barbara, California on 15 July 1992 at age 81 . See Albert's home ?
- Clara Elizabeth Crofoot, born 26 Mar 1876 in Illinois, died 7 Sept 1975 in Riverside, Illinois, buried
in Sandwich, Illinois with her husband, Albert Adams, from soc. sec. death index and Sandwich, Illinois Cemetery records.
The Walter Adams family was living in Ft. Wayne, Indiana when Emeline Cox died
in 1903, and moved to Jackson, Michigan, when A.M. Cox died in 1904.
 1880 US census ;  1900 US census ;  1910 US census ;  1920 census.
Information on the Adams family comes from Pat Stephenson, a great-granddaughter of
Walter G. Adams and Mary Emma Cox, from information written down by Augustus Adams Sr in
November 1886, and from obituaries of these people which appeared in Sandwich newspapers and
was cataloged by Ken Bastian.