Above diagram best viewed if monitor displays 1024x768 pixels with medium text size
Click on blue names to move through family trees above.
Personal Information and photo links below :
- Medard Joseph De Vos (family knew him as "Joe" in America), born as Medard on 17 March 1890
(from SS death index) in Machelen, Belgium, remarried to his first cousin Madeleine van Thournot with whom he had no other children.
Joe died December 1974 in Ben Lomond near Santa Cruz, and is buried near there.
Madeleine died near Santa Cruz, Calif. on 3 Dec 2005; Possible early photo
- Madeleine van Thournot, born 25 Feb 1904 (mother was Marie Bonamie), married her cousin Joe (Medard) De Vos in later life,
with whom she had no children. As of October 2005, Madeleine was nearly blind, living in a nursing home near
Santa Cruz, California, but could relate to visitors for a few minutes each day.
Madeleine died of a heart attack on 3 December 2005, about 2 months
shy of her 102nd birthday. Video available (CD only)
- (grandmother) Marie Marina Tack, born 1885 in
Belgium, had a daughter Georgina with George Stegun, married
Medard (Joe) de Vos in 1920. She had siblings who have kept her name "Tack". Marie Marina Tack died between 1953 and 1960,
probably in Chicago where she lived, according to Susan De Vos.
- George Alphonse De Vos , born 25 July 1922 in Detroit, Michigan. He married
Winifred Olsen on 4 May 1944, raising 4 children to adulthood, though there was a fifth
stillborn child. George and Winnie divorced Nov 1974, and George remarried
to Suzanne Lake in 1974, both living in Oakland, Calif.; George was a
professor of Anthropology at UC-Berkeley. George died the evening of
Friday 9 July 2010 in Oakland, California. Videos available (CD only)
- Suzanne Lake, born 26 June 1929 to father Mahew Lake and mother Suzanne Robin, married to George Alphonse De Vos
about 1976, with no biological children.
- Winifred Louise Olsen , born 21 July 1923, married George A. De Vos on 4 May 1944, and this
couple raised 4 children in Berkeley, California, where George was Anthopology professor at UC-Berkeley, though there
was a fifth stillborn child. This couple divorced on 4 May 1974 and Winnie remarried on 12 September 1982 to Larry McLaughlin.
After living at 11 El Camino Real in Berkeley, California, for many years, Winnie and Larry moved to an Oakland retirement
condo in 2005. Upon the death of her husband Larry, Winnie moved to Bremerton, Washington, near where her daughter
Laurie was living. After a stroke, she moved to a nearby hospice center, and stopped chemo-therapy for resurgent breast cancer.
Winnie died peacefully and painlessly in her sleep on 7 June 2011.
Videos available (CD only)
- Laurence McLaughlin ("Larry"), born 19 May 1924, becoming deaf early in life. Larry was married 4 times;
Lynn Lisenby and Anne Johnson were daughters from his
first marriage; Randall Sean McLaughlin was a product of his second marriage.
Winifred (Olsen) DeVos was Larry’s fourth wife, but there were no children by his third or fourth
marriages. This information on Larry courtesy of Anne Johnson. Larry died
in Oakland, California, on 5 December 2005, the same day his step-daughter (Susan De Vos) became
legally separated. Larry had a clever and cheerful sense of humor, and was an excellent Scrabble player.
- Laurie Louise, married Fred Moore, with whom she has two children, all still living in Bremerton, Washington
- Eric Steven, born 30 Dec 1953 in Nagoya, Japan
(father was on a Fulbright to Japan); married Margaret Mann, having one child Christina; divorced Margaret
about 2000 and remarried Lisa X. with no additional children; as of June 2007
was teaching at SVSU in Saginaw, Mich.
- Susan Marie De Vos , born (a breech baby) on 30 December 1953 in Nagoya,
Japan, while father was on a Fulbright fellowship. Susan and Eric are twins, Eric's delivery normal (not breech). Susan is a research scientist at the
Center for Demography and Ecology at UW-Madison (Wisconsin). Married on 15 February 1985
to Thomas McFarland. Legally separated (but remaining married) on 5 December 2005. Susan
suffers from a form of ataxia called OPCA, which restricts her to
a wheel chair. Susan's ataxia was tested for known genetic bases in August 2009 by Dean Clinic,
and none was found. No other family members suffer from this condition. Susan has blue eyes, but claims both parents have green eyes.
Videos available (CD only)
- Michael Evan, born 17 January 1957, builder of homes in Incline Village, Nevada; died April 2000 of heart attack
- a fifth child was stillborn between Susan and Michael
- Marie Marina Tack earlier had the child Georgina with a German named
George Stegun, who went to Brazil to avoid military service and sent
money to Marina to join him. Marina used the money instead to come to America,
where she met and married Joe De Vos. Georgina married Frank Steyvoort, but died in Detroit in
1988 leaving no children